TEACHING & RESEARCH
Herman B Wells Professor Emeritus
Recent Employment History
- Herman B Wells Professor Emeritus, Indiana University, 2016 – present.
- Professor (1991-2016); Assoc. Professor, Department of Geology/Geological Sciences, Indiana University, Bloomington, 1982 1991. [Honors College Core Faculty: 1989-1992; 1996-2002]
- Chair (2003 – 2007), Department of Geological Sciences, Indiana University, Bloomington.
- Associated Scientist, Indian Statistical Institute, 2006 – present.
- Ph.D., 1975, Indiana University
- M.Sc., 1961, Calcutta University
Sedimentary Provenance, Processes and Products on Earth, Moon, Mars and Meteorite Parent Bodies; Proterozoic Sedimentary Geology of India
Learning is the only goal of the process we call teaching; and, students are always right.
Recent Research Projects
Revision of Proterozoic geology and tectonics of India.
Regolith and comparative planetary geology.
Recent Awards and Honors
Herman B Wells Endowed Professorship, Indiana University, 2003 – 2008
Felicitations, National Geophysical Research Institute (India) and Indian Society of Applied Geochemists, Special Event, Hyderabad, India, 2007
International Coordinator, "Proterozoic Earth and Boring Billion," 36th International Geological Congress
Co-Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Indian Association of Sedimentologists, 2017 – present.
Member, Board of Associate Editors, Sedimentary Geology, 2016 – present.
Associate Editor, Journal of the Geological Society of India, 2009 – present
Member, Executive Council, Indian Society of Applied Geochemistry, 2013 – 2016
Member, Editorial and Advisory Boards, International Journal of Earth Sciences and Engineering, 2008 – 2015
Member, Editorial Board, Periodico di Mineralogia, 2008 – 2012
Foreign Secretary, Indian Association of Sedimentologists, 1990 – 2006
Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Applied Geochemistry, 2008 – 2011
Member, Advisory Committee, International Symposium on Precambrian Accretionary Orogens (Delhi, Feb 2011), 2010–2011
Member, Advisory Committee, International Conference on Paleoproterozoic Supercontinents and Global Evolution (Kolkata, Nov 2009), 2009
Member, Science Board, International Research School of Planetary Sciences, University of "G.d’Annunzio", Italy, 1999 – 2009