Study of the geological sciences at Indiana University has had a long and distinguished history. Beginning with the first lectures in 1840, IU has attracted and retained a series of outstanding teachers and research scientists who have consistently trained students to become able scientists in academics, government, and industry.
The faculty and alumni of the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences can be proud of their heritage at Indiana University. The department has fulfilled and continues to fulfill one of the roles of a state supported institution, providing well-trained personnel to assist in the economic and educational advancement of the citizens of Indiana.
Our history is documented in a scholarly working paper: “History of the Indiana University Department of Geological Sciences: 1840-1997.”