I’m Jen (Jennifer Simms, formerly Laherty) and I’ve worked with some of you over the years in a variety of capacities. While always difficult to realize, I have 25 years in this profession! I returned to IUB in 2007 and have served as a sciences librarian since 2014. I’m adding EAS to my subjects: biology, chemistry, and health sciences. I also manage the services in the Sciences branch library – in the chemistry building. Most of your relevant book collections are in Wells or ALF Storage and of course, online, as many books are digitally sourced these days.
Please reach out to me for any information/data related needs you have, whether for research, instruction, or learning. I really enjoy working with the whole spectrum of folks from undergrad to seasoned scholar.
Some of the fundamental services I can help with are:
- Literature searching help: I’m fairly well versed in many specialized databases and can help search the literature, data, and non-traditional formatted/published content.
- Managing citations: I am proficient with EndNote, Zotero, and Mendeley – including how to connect these services to storing full pdfs in cloud technologies.
- Managing/measuring research impact: regardless of where one is in their scholarly journey, I can help folks set up their research identities, wrangle existing ones, and help produce impact measurements.
- Class Instruction: I’m here for class instruction and/or assignment design that utilizes information in meaningful and experience-rich manners for your students. I can create modules and guides to embed into Canvas. I can also help find open access materials to support learning that don’t require students to spend as much on texts.
- Reserves: Should you need any materials on course reserves for spring term, please send requests to the reserves form: https://libraries.indiana.edu/print-or-media-class-reserve-request-form. The closest/best library for physical course reserves to EAS is Wells Library.
- Purchasing Content: If you would like me to consider making any content purchases, please let me know at any time, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Data Preservation: Finally, I’ve been working toward developing sustainable solutions for faculty who want to deposit their data within library infrastructure for open discovery and long term preservation. Should this pique your interest, let’s discuss the possibilities.
Make an appointment with me, for scholars and students: https://iub.libcal.com/appointments?u=40270 (and emailing me works just fine!)
The list of all subject librarians is here: https://libraries.indiana.edu/specialists.
Read more about Jennifer Simms