The Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences hosted 20 middle- and high-school earth science teachers for "Midcontinent EarthScope Workshop" connected with its NSF-funded research project on Structure and Dynamics of the North American Craton. The three-day workshop included lectures, demonstrations, exercises, discussions, and two field trips to learn about structures associated with earthquakes in the Midcontinent.
The workshop included:
- presentations and activities on plate tectonics, earthquakes and seismogram interpretation
- opportunities to learn about results from EarthScope geophysical experiments
- Hands-on and classroom‐adaptable activities
- Field trip to sites of local geological interest
- Stipend, lodging, and meals (and snacks) provided
- 16 hours of continuing education credit and option for IU graduate credit